Thursday, January 8, 2009

Chapter Three - This is a mess

Written Feb 8 2009

This summer of 1990 is a summer I am turning unwillingly into an adult. I can see it. My parents can see it too. My parents are extremely supportive and I dont think I can manage this life change without them, but slowly I am learning that I only have myself to fully rely on. I am the only one who knows what is going on in my own body. The only one who knows that if I skip a meal the consequences will turn ugly. And quickly.

This morning I opened my eyes and realize I cannot get out of bed. My limbs dont seem to be working. I panic and scream for my mom who comes barreling into the room a moment later. She asks me whats wrong and even though my brain is processing what I want to say, it will not come out the same way through my tingling lips. My mom is fumbling around in my nightstand for the tube of glucagon gel we keep there for emergencies. If this isnt one, I am not sure what classifies as one.

She pops the little plastic cap off which goes flying across the room and tells me to swallow. As soon as the cool gel hits my taste buds my body fights back. I begin to squirm and the scariest thing is I am not doing this intentionally. Hold still she tell me and I can tell she is starting to get upset with me. She holds me down to settle me which pretty much sends my body into convulsions. There is gel around my mouth, on my night shirt, my bed sheets, everywhere. This is a complete mess!

Not only a mess, a single parent should not have to witness their kid going through this unbearable horror of feeling like the only thing that they can do is to force sugar down their helpless childs gullet.

Yes, we need to figure out a way to prohibit hypoglycemic reactions from showing their distorted faces in our lives! But I feel that is going to take massive amounts of time, as it does not seem to be something we can entirely control at this precise time. Should we try telling a little white lie? That this Thursday will be too busy to deal with, do you think you can come back another time- like NEVER!?! Blood sugar reactions do not R.S.V.P. We are learning they prefer to arrive unannounced.

No comments:

Post a Comment